Who should attend:
This clinic is recommended for:
– Aspiring referees – who want to learn how right of way and rules are being applied at a national and international level;
– Athletes – who want to improve their games and get a more complete understanding of their sport;
– Coaches – who want to maintain their grasp of current interpretations and rules updates;
– Parents – who want a better understanding of tournament format and the basics of sport fencing for their children; and
– Current referees – who need to fulfill their yearly requirement for seminar attendance or further their personal development.This clinic
About the Referee Development Clinic
The Referee Development Clinic will provide you with a broad understanding of the role, responsibilities, and duties of a referee, as well as refine your sense of right of way, timing, and application of the penalties.
Attending an official FOC-sanctioned clinic is a prerequisite for becoming a certified USA Fencing referee, along with successful completion of a written exam. Once a passing score (90%) has been achieved on the written exam (both the general section and one or more weapon-specific sections) a referee receives a rating of “P” in each weapon passed. Further ratings improvements (1-10) can be obtained at a later date by being evaluated in a practical setting at tournaments.
The written test is now offered online and typically taken shortly following the clinic, though it may be taken in advance:
If you plan to sit the exam, please make sure that you have adequately prepared by going through the Study Guide: