VA Division of USA Fencing Statement Regarding Virginia’s Executive Order 72
On December 10, 2020, the Commonwealth of Virginia issued Executive Order #72 and “Order of Public Health Emergency”.
Click here for the full text, but effective Monday, December 14th and through at least January 31, 2021, highlights include:
- Modified Stay at Home Order between 12AM and 5AM (with certain exceptions)
- Fitness and Exercise facilities max occupancy dropped from 25 to 10 people; however Indoor Recreational Sports venue limits remain at 25
- All Public and Private In-Person Gatherings limited to 10 people (with certain exceptions)
As noted by Cardinal Fencing Academy in an announcement this afternoon, some of these new restrictions have gray areas that can be left up to interpretation by the reader, so we ask that you please read through the document thoroughly and be cautious about how you approach fencing these next few months, or at least until more clarification comes from Richmond.
Let us be clear –
The Virginia Division Executive Committee:
- does not support bouting in our clubs due to the 84% surge of COVID-19 cases in VA over the past 28 days not to mention throughout the country.
- will not sanction any event in VA through the end of the 2020-2021 season. We will monitor conditions in the Commonwealth through the Spring to ascertain widespread availability and acceptance of a vaccine before reconsidering this position.
- does not support the sanctioning of Regional and National events through the end of the 2020-2021 Season. We will monitor conditions in the Region 6 through the Spring to ascertain widespread availability and acceptance of a vaccine before reconsidering this position.
- does not sanction Regional nor National Events, regardless of where they are held. Sanctioning of these events are only done by the National Offices.
To our fencers and parents of fencers, our feelings are that even if an organizer is able to account for everything in their control, it only takes one Fencer, Club, Coach, or Referee not following protocols in their normal daily lives (or one of their contacts) to jeopardize a multitude of communities.
Thank you for your support and hope all of you are happy, healthy and safe!